You cannot pour from an empty cup, if you do not look after yourself, it is difficult to look after others. Self-care may be perceived by some as selfish. Well, I am here to tell you it is not. It is far from selfish.
When we practice self-care, we are improving our mood, or thoughts and our feelings. On days when we are feeling down practising self-care is a necessity.
Everyone experiences down days, no matter how great someone’s Facebook or Instagram account looks, nobody can be immune from experiencing down days. So, know that you are not alone. Whether you’re completely confused with what you want to do with your life, going through a break-up, feeling like everyone and everything is against you or feeling alone. Everyone has their own reasons for having down days, but you do not have to stay down.
If you feel that you are struggling to pick yourself up again, check out some of the tips on self care I have listed below. They are tips to help take care of yourself on those bad days and to help pick yourself back up again!
- Talk to someone
Letting someone know how you are feeling can make all the difference. Just knowing that you are not alone. If you don’t feel comfortable talking to someone you know, you can talk to a counsellor, your GP or a helpline. Help is available.
- Change your thought pattern
Make a list of everything that is going right in your life. We already know the things that aren’t going right, now look at what is. Remind yourself daily of what is going right, and back this up with examples in your life.
- A new perspective Everyone is on their own journey. Take five minutes and think of the positives in your life. I bet other people wish for what you have. By being grateful for can change your perspective, into a more positive outlook.
- Remind yourself of happy memories
When something that made you happy or laugh happens, write it down. Keep it beside your bed, so each night and morning you are reminded. By reminding yourself of a happy moment can give you a positive mind set for the day ahead.
- Do Something that makes YOU Happy From reading your favourite book, exercising or simply looking at old photos. We can spend so much time trying to please others, that we don’t do what makes us happy!
- Treat Yourself Run yourself a relaxing bath, give yourself a facial our buy yourself a gift. This is an instant feel good factor. Remember, you deserve it!
- Be with the people who you love
Surround yourself with positive people who inspire you. If you are surrounded by people who are not contributing to your happiness and are adding to your bad days, then remove them from your life.
- Practice Mindfulness and Meditation
Start by sitting in a comfortable position, put some relaxing music online and focus on your breathing.
Thoughts are inevitably going to come and that’s OK, continue to focus on your breathing when that happens. YouTube have some great relaxing music and some guided meditation, ALL FREE.
Practising meditation helps you to slow your breathing, quiet your mind, and find peace. It can be beneficial physically, mentally, and emotionally.